Google Play Store is the central hub for Android users, attracting over 2.5 billion active users every month. It’s the ultimate destination to download Android apps, games, and digital content. But the world of app stores on Android is not confined to Google Play. There are many alternatives to the Play Store worth venturing into. Here’s ten Google Play Store alternatives for you to explore.
List of 10 Google Play Store Alternatives
Alternative app stores for Android offer a win-win for both developers and users. Developers gain a platform to launch their apps without getting lost in the competition at Google Play Store. They also get a chance to reach the large, engaged user community of alternative app stores for Android.
For users, alternative Android app stores are appealing since many of these stores offer free versions of paid Google Play Store apps. Users also get a wide range of exciting apps to install and use.
However, most Android devices require you to enable the “Install Unknown Apps” option before you can install apps from alternative Android app stores. To install apps from alternative app stores on Android, you can follow these steps:
- Go to your Settings menu
- Open ‘Security’ option
- Check the ‘Install Unknown Apps’ option
These steps permit you to install apps or their Android package (APK) from alternative sources.
A word of caution – installation of apps from sources other than the Google Play Store does not involve Google’s in-house security protocols and thus does not have Google’s security clearance. Also, a warning for developers on the ill effects of publishing apps on several app stores. Your app’s presence on multiple platforms increases the risk of piracy and theft of the source code.
Without further ado, let’s check our unranked list of 10 alternatives for Play Store on Android:
Starting with our list of alternatives for Play Store, we first have the Amazon Appstore. Amazon Appstore, initially launched in 2011, had only 3,800 apps. But as of December 2023, it has now over 844,194 applications. The AppStore features both paid and free apps and is one of the most popular Google Play Store alternatives.
- The store hosts a vast collection of books, music, and movies, often available at lower rates than the Play Store.
- The Appstore has virtual currency known as Amazon Coins that can be used to buy eligible apps, games, and in-app items from the Appstore.
- It allows users to shop for apps on their Macs or PCs and then install them on a supported device.
- Developers who earn less than USD 1 million in annual revenue receive 80% of the revenue generated by their app or in-app purchases under the Amazon Appstore Small Business Accelerator Program.
- Popular apps such as WhatsApp, Boomerang, Messenger Lite, and IGTV are unavailable.
- An Amazon account is needed to use the Amazon Appstore.
Download the Amazon Appstore here.
Among the latest alternatives for Play Store is the Huawei AppGallery. With over 400 million monthly active users, this app store is the world’s third largest app marketplace. Originally a Huawei and Honor devices dedicated app store; it now caters to all Android devices.
- It supports devices beyond Huawei and Honor.
- It is known for its robust security measures.
- It also offers exclusive regional apps.
- There have been concerns about potential vulnerabilities, such as malware presence within the app store.
Download the Huawei AppGallery here.
Aptoide is among the most popular alternatives for Play Store. Launched in 2009, it is an independent app store hosting a vast user base and millions of apps. The app has multiple versions for different gadgets, such as Aptoide for smartphones and tablets, Aptoide TV for smart TVs, Aptoide Kids for children’s devices, and Aptoide VR.
- It hosts over 430 million users and 1 million apps.
- It has the latest malware detection systems in place to ensure security.
- It supports in-app payments through AppCoins.
- The official website says the app is available to its users in 32 languages.
- It offers an easy-to-browse app interface with individual app ratings.
- Apps having no green symbols of ‘trusted app’ certification must be downloaded at personal risk.
- There has been an instance of data breach.
You can get the APK to install Aptoide from their website here.
Softonic, founded by Softonic International, stands out with the unique and wide range of features it offers. It hosts many apps and games – both free and paid. It’s an ideal Play Store alternative for those who value enhanced control over their app experience.
- It offers advanced security and safety while downloading applications.
- It boasts gesture navigation, parental control, location control, dark mode, and focus mode.
- It hosts articles, guides, and newsletters on the apps.
- It has a user-friendly design layout and app categories.
- It is available in 17 languages.
- There have been some complaints regarding safety by Softonic users.
- They have also faced criticism due to bundled software installations and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) included with some downloads.
Check out Softonic here.
APKMirror is one of the most popular alternatives for Play Store. It is a website-based store that lets you download APK files of various Android apps.
- The website is easy to browse, with apps listed categorically for easy installation.
- It offers popular apps irrespective of location-based restrictions.
- It also has older app versions that may have been removed from the Play Store.
- Due to the placement and design, finding the download button for the APK files is challenging for users.
Enjoy APKMirror by visiting their website here.
9Apps boasts an extensive library of apps and games, an immersive app discovery experience, and many more attractive features. It is a highly sought-after Play Store alternative for those seeking variety.
- It supports all Android versions.
- It has a user-friendly interface and categorized sections for easy browsing.
- It offers a diverse collection of apps, games, and more, both free and paid.
- It has a mini-game section to play free games without downloading.
- It provides a platform for quick and secure downloads.
- The app faces allegations of spreading the Agent Smith malware.
Download 9Apps from here.
Samsung Galaxy Store
Next among the alternatives for Play Store is the Samsung Galaxy store. Launched in 2009, the Samsung Galaxy store is an inbuilt app store for Samsung Galaxy smartphones, Samsung Gear, and feature phones like Samsung REX and Duos. It is a fantastic alternative for Google Play Store for Samsung users.
- The Samsung Galaxy store is the only app store that features the popular game Fortnite for its US users.
- A plethora of apps, themes, stickers, fonts, and features like camera filters and edge panels are available for Galaxy devices.
- It seamlessly integrates with Samsung accounts.
- It is exclusive to Samsung devices.
- You need to have a Galaxy account to use the app store.
Download the Samsung Galaxy store here.
Next among the alternative app stores for Android is Uptodown. The platform houses a vast library of applications and games and does not require registration to download apps. With over 25 billion downloads till date, it has become a trusted alternative for Google Play Store for those prioritizing app security.
- It has an interactive and user-friendly interface.
- Apart from providing apps for AndroidOS, it also offers apps on iOS and Windows devices.
- It has robust malware tests to ensure security.
- It has a web version and an application that automatically updates installed apps on the device.
- It is available in 17 languages.
- It hosts a small number of Android apps due to its stringent multi-test policy.
- They might not always offer the latest versions of apps instantly compared to alternative app stores on Android.
Visit the Uptodown website here.
Next among the alternative app stores on Android is GetJar. Launched in 2004, GetJar is an independent mobile phone app store. It initially began as a platform for beta testing for developers but soon emerged as a popular Play Store alternative among netizens.
- It hosts vivid categories of apps with an easy-to-navigate user interface.
- It allows developers to add their apps for free through a developer portal.
- It offers cross-platform compatibility for Android, iOS, Windows, and more.
- There have been instances of hosting apps with viruses in the past.
Visit GetJar‘s website here.
Launched in 2010, F-Droid is an open-source app store that focuses on providing FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) Android apps. It is especially popular among developers looking for alternative app stores for Android. It allows them to test and build their own apps using the source codes F-Droid offers.
- As per the app description, F-Droid flags apps if they contain features like advertising, user tracking, or dependence on non-free software.
- No account is required to download source codes.
- Along with the source codes of apps hosted, the F-Droids website offers the source code of the software employed to run F-Droid.
- No fee is charged to download or submit source codes.
- Small app pool as compared to other alternative app stores on Android.
Visit F-Droid’s website to get an APK file to install F-Droid on your device.
Explore These Alternatives for Play Store – Let us Know Your Thoughts
So this is our latest unranked list of 10 alternatives for Play Store. As a precaution, we remind you that although these alternative Android app stores perform multiple malware tests to provide safe apps, the risk of downloading apps from unknown sources remains. So exercise extreme caution while downloading apps from these sources.
Yaabot is your source for the latest news and insights on technology, AI, and more.